Is Interest Earned By Employee Provident Fund Taxable?

Union Budget 2021 has proposed to impose income tax on interest earned by an employee/person on his/her contribution in excess of Rs 2.5 lakh in a financial year to a provident fund. 

Employee Provident Fund

On a plain reading of the budget documents, it appears that tax will apply to the interest earned on contributions made to Employees' Provident Fund (EPF), Voluntary Provident Fund (VPF) as well as Public Provident Fund (PPF). 
However, tax experts have clarified that there are separate limits for EPF/VPF and PPF. Which means contributions to PPF and EPF/VPF will not be aggregated for the purpose of calculating the Rs 2.5 lakh limit.

Detailed Explanation

Presently in EPF contribution consists of 12% of the basic salary from Employees account and additional 12% of the basic salary from Employers account. In total 24% of the basic salary will be added in EPF account every month.
But Employees have an option to increase their contribution from 12% to 100% and the additional contribution also earns the same interest rate as decided by the employee provident fund organization. Hence the Government has imposed income tax on the interest earned by the contribution Which is above 2.5 Lac/year.

For Example Let us say Ram invest 2.4 Lac/year in his EPF account (Both EPF and VPF combined), and if he earns 20,400 rs interest (Considering 8.5% return on SI basis) then ram need not to pay any tax on this interest earned because his investment in EPF is below 2.5 Lac/year.

Now,  let us say Sham invest 5 lac/year in his EPF account (Both EPF and VPF combined), and if he earns 42,500 rs interest (Considering 8.5% return on SI basis), Now Sham have to pay income tax on 21,500 rs (as per his income tax slab) because this interest amount is being earned by investing extra 2.5 lac/year over the maximum limit of 2.5 lac/year.

This rule mainly affects the earnings of the rich people whose salary is above 21 Lac/year. This new rule will be applicable from 1st April 2021 once this is passed by the parliament.


  1. The article was up to the point and described the information very effectively. Thanks to blog author for sharing an informative post. Best Agricultural Management Consultants

  2. Nice information, I am heartily very thankful to you for providing this kind of special knowledge. This information will always help everyone for gaining knowledge. Always keep sharing. Thanks. Read more info about recover my money

  3. I am very proud to say that your blog has had such useful information about Interest Earned By Employee and acceptable content. A knowledgeable blog you have shared. Vehicle Financing SaskatchewanPlease keep sharing.

  4. I generally check this kind of article and I found your article which is related to my interest.Santa Barbara Best Tax Law Firm Genuinely it is good and instructive information. Thankful to you for sharing an article like this.


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wipro Share Returns In Last 40 years

Exxaro tiles IPO Vs Windlas Biotech IPO Vs Krsnaa Diagnostics IPO Vs Devyani International IPO: GMP: Subscription till 6th August

Post Office Investments for Small and Safe Investors In India

Paras Defence And Space Technologies Limited IPO Details, GMP, Allotment Status and Issue Price

What is Investment ?

Best Ways To Save Money

Which is better Investment plan PPF or VPF?